Monday, April 21, 2014

i love this hand



His other one, too. They're the littlest of all my hands...and likely will be until he catches up to his brothers. I've had an unusual facination with all my boys' hands about this age. It's the time right before they change, overnight it seems, from baby to little boy hands. He's a whole three fingers as of February and remnants of baby are seemingly long gone but I can still see them in the way he tucks his thumb in and curls his fingers around it while he sleeps. I know from experience that it changes while I'm not looking, while I'm too busy cleaning the house, while I'm asking him to be patient and wait for my attention a moment longer.

Although we spent last week, Spring Break Week, visiting doctors and trying to squeeze fun into slivers of forced opportunity, today I am thankful for the pause my sickness is giving me. A gifted opportunity to take them in...quietly...for as long as they'll let me. If I'm lucky I'll be a witness this time...the last time. If I'm smart I'll act sick more often.

2 comments: